Oldham Coliseum Theatre
T: 0161 624 2829
F: +44 0161 624 5318
Oldham Coliseum is a building-based producing theatre. The company produces eight shows a year on its main stage, offering a balanced programme of drama, comedy, musical, new writing and new writing. it also operatesa as a receiving house for touring productions, visiting companies and special one-night events.
The history of Oldham Coliseum Theatre spans a period of 128 years making it one of the oldest theatres in Britain still operating today. The theatre is home to a traditional pantomime and produces a new production each year attracting audiences of over 35,000.
The Coliseum Theatre dates back to 1885 and began life as a Grand American Curcus and Hippodrime. Situated in the heart of Oldham and surrounded by almost a dozen other theatres, almost 125 years later, the award winning Coliseum is the only surviving theatre in the town.
The Coliseum stage has seen countless performers over the years from comedy greats Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel to fledgling movie stars such as Ralph Fiennes and Minnie Driver. Many of the stars of Manchester staple Coronation Street have also cut their teeth treading the boards at the Coliseum.
The Coliseum as we know it today has recently undergone a £2m facelift and renovation with improved seating, heating and front of house facilities bringing the venue up-to-date with modern theatre-goers' demands.The auditorium has a capacity of 523 seats, in addition the theatre has a studio space with a more intimate capacity of 50 seats.
The Oldham Coliseum Theatre is a registered charity, Charity number 508829
The Coliseum gratefully acknowledges funding from AGMA, Arts Council England and OMBC
The Coliseum has recently installed a hearing loop, donated by the Friends of the Coliseum
Nearest major road is M60. Follow signs to Oldham Town Centre then Coliseum.
Recorded directions are available by calling 0161 624 2829.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is the newly opended Oldham Central.
Regular public servcies available - please call 0161 624 2829 for more information.
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Each Coliseum production has one British Sign Language interpreted performance and one Audio Described.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Touch tours are available before most Audio Described performances; and infra-red head sets are available for the hearing impaired. Please book in advance when you purchase your ticket. Guide and Hearing Dogs also welcome.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge)
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- Groups Accepted - Advanced booking advised.
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Min group size - 11
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates - Please see ticket price information.
- Visa accepted
- Event Venue - Subject to availability.
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Education workshops, packages and training available for teachers and students at primary, secondary and Further Education level. The Coliseum Outreach programme also offers professional theatre opportunities for the whole community. For more information please contact the Education and Outreach team on 0161 785 7007.
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals - Guided backstage tours are available for most productions. A Theatre Speaker is also available to come to your venue and deliver an illustrated talk about the Oldham Coliseum Theatre. For more details or to book please contact the box office on 0161 624 2829